Sunday, November 25, 2012

Movies, Music, Books

Watched two movies in the last two weeks ...

One was an obscure French movie some friends dragged us to ... Monsieur Lazhar. We wanted to see Argo, but it was House Full, so saw this instead without having a clue as to what we were going in for. A very serious, heavy movie, about a suicide of a teacher in a school, coupled with an Algerian refugee, who applies for refugee status in Canada, and winds up as a substitute teacher in the same school while waiting for his application to be approved. The story unravels with how the teacher, M. Lazhar, deals with the kids who are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy, while he struggles with his own demons of losing his wife and kids to unrest in Algeria, and the bureaucracy of the Immigration process in Canada. A powerful movie ... had me in tears at more than one place.

Argo ... During the Iranian hostage crisis, a group of six American embassy staff took refuge in the Canadian Ambassador's house. The film follows the rescue mission which lifted them out, disguised as a Canadian film crew. This film is based on a true story. Produced by Ben Affleck and George Clooney, directed by Ben Affleck, who also plays the CIA operative who planned the operation and went in to get the six people out. Fabulous movie ... the last bit, as the plane is taking off, was probably dramatised for effect ... it was nail-biting, finger gripping types.
Never been so thankful for the lack of modern day communication devices like mobile phones and instant messaging ... if those had been present in those days, the hostages would never have gotten out.
Enjoyed the movie so much that when I returned home, I googled the story - The Canadian Caper as it was then called.  For those interested -
http://international.gc.ca/history-histoire/people-gens/ken_taylor.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Krish, me!

      I watched it today. In 3D.
      It is beautiful. I am going to get hold of the book soon.
      I am not good at giving a review or anything, but I can say this.
      I was apprehensive of taking my son. He thoroughly enjoyed it! He usually does not sit through movies without fight scenes unless it is a cartoon;, but here he was, enchanted by the movie- not one word out of his mouth!

      And me and hubby enjoyed it at a different level.

      Don't miss it. The 3D was not very impressive in the beginning; really got better when the special effects came. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tabu as Pi's mom. And Irfan Khan- well, he is my favourite Khan- though he is mostly narrating the story. It is about a younger Pi.
      Also loved the Pondicherry and Munnar connections, and the coming together of three religions.

      Delete
    2. Actually my daughter is reading it now and enjoying it immensely....somehow i had let the book pass me by when it was published...altho coming thru very good reviews for it..somehow have a propensity to avoid feted books...

      now i guess, after my daughter has been narrating some parts to me..i feel like reading it...should i read the book and watch the movie later? the release date for the movie is a month away

      Delete
    3. Rekh,
      Can't say since I have not read the book. Generally, I find movies don't do absolute justice to the book- 'The lord of the rings' being an exception. The movie and the book were good, and there I had read the book first.

      Knowing the story might spoil the book (though I don't think it will be so with Pi), so I'd recommend you read it and keep the expectations low for the movie...any way since you have a month before it releases...

      Delete
    4. Hey Thanks Su....will do that...becos the book is anyway with us now...

      The debate for book and movie will always be a strange one....in most cases...there is something going for the book but obviously when the setting is in the realm of fantasy...seeing is perhaps believing....i daresay HP being an exception...i would say also becos for the die-hard fans the detailing would be hard to surpass in a cinematic setting...as also what HP means to an avid reader...

      Delete
    5. i read the book.. it left a heavy indent on me, took a few weeks to clear up.. i used to get nightmares after that( for those who read the book and think there is nothing scary in there, i'll explain.. i get scared by odd things. yeah, im a big softie)

      definitely must read. very good read.

      su, thanks for the positive rec.. am gonna watch it soon.

      Delete
    6. I too watched Life of Pi over the weekend and liked it. I felt the second half dragged a bit, maybe because there were just two characters - the boy and the tiger - for the most part of it. Simply loved Irrfan's narrative. His voice modulation is amazing. I have the book at home but had not bothered to read it till now. Maybe will try to catch it when I have the time. My son absolutely loved the film. Needless to say, the ethnic touch in the form of the beautiful song in tamil which was played at the start and end of the film made it moire endearing to me.

      Delete
    7. Krish,
      If you've read the book do watch it in 3D. This is one movie that people who read the book enjoyed more than those who did not...
      I went in very skeptical about how they would translate the book into a movie - but they did a darned good job. Both my kids liked it too..

      Rekha,
      Read the book and then go watch the movie :)

      Delete

Back!

 Received a message about a spam comment, logged in to delete it, and browsed through the blog after AGES!!!! With work and home life gettin...