Monday, December 23, 2013

New Sanaya Interview in HT


New HT article. LOVED her answers! <3 em="">
'I've Told Mohit, I'm Going To Take Him Down'
Jokes Sanaya Irani about competing with her boyfriend; talks about her successes and failures.
Popular actor Sanaya Irani will soon be back on TV, essaying a new role in her upcoming serial, Rangrasiya. Having put her last flop TV outing Chhanchhan behind her, she says she's learnt lessons from success and failure. Confident of her new show, she is about competing with boyfriend Mohit Sehgal as his show Qubool Hai will clash with hers in the same time slot.
Is it true that Rangrasiya has been inspired by Shakespeare's Othello?
It depicts the destructive nature of love. When Ashish (Sharma, co-star) was briefed about his character, he was given the reference of Othello to help him relate to the intensity of the character.

So it's Ashish's character which is based on Othello, not the entire show. Okay, that makes more sense to me ... the story of the show does not seem inspired from Othello, from the promos and the previews. 
Do you sense competition with Mohit as your shows will air at the same time?
Well, I've told him that I am going to take him down. (laughs).
Not just Mohit, I hope she takes ALL other shows down too!!! 

Post Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon (IPKKND), people seem to expect a reprised version of your popular character Khushi. What's your take on that expectation?
I'm happy that people love me that way. I accept love in whichever form it comes, even if it is as Khushi. Obviously people have loved me as Khushi as perhaps IPKKND is my biggest show. But people also recall my other roles Gunjan and Chhanchhan to.

Love this answer ... it's definitely true, and I like the way she gives respect to all her shows and all her characters, while acknowledging that IPKKND is her biggest hit. But she has a lot of fans from MJHT - including myself ... and there are people who liked Chhanchhan too - despite the failure of Chhanchhan as a show, she doesn't shake it off and refuse to acknowledge it. Which I'm glad about, because I liked Chhanchhan and really wish that it had been better written. There was a lot I could relate to in it, and wished had been better emphasized. 

Have you put the failure of Chhanchhan behind you?
If my shows don't do well, it doesn't mean I say, "Oh my God, that was a disaster." You learn a lot from every show, and I had my share of learning with Chhanchhan. I don't consider it a bad patch in my life. Whatever happened on Chhanchhan happened for a reason and it had to end because I had to do Rangrasiya.
Loved this answer too ... as I said above, she acknowledges all her shows, success or failure ... and I love the way she takes the positives out of every situation. I'm glad Chhanchhan happened for two reasons -  it put a distance between Sanaya and Khushi, and we got to see Sanaya on screen for six months in the interim. 

Two actors sharing a bond of friendship is rare and it was lovely to see you supportingDrashti Dhami on a reality show. How did the two of you become friends?
Both of us find it wierd to talk about our friendship. We're like any two ordinary human beings who are friends. We are normal people and we do things that normal friends do. We met during our college days and we've been friends since.

Two college friends, who chose the same field and have both been doing well ... she puts in straight into the lowest common denominator ... really, what's the big deal? 
What do you think of Mohit's role in Qubool Hai?
I have watched the show but it was misreported somewhere that I hadn't. I really liked him on the show. A lot of people called to tell him that he's doing a really good job and I'm very happy that he is finally doing something that he likes.

Clarification again - straight and to the point. 
Quick Five
A show you like on TV currently?
Big Boss (BB) is the only show I currently watch, other than some English series. This is the first season of BB that I'm watching and I feel people selected this time are much more well-known that the other seasons.
An actor you feel is popular?
I really don't know as I don't watch a lot of television shows. But I guess actors of Diya Aur Baati Hum are popular as it is the biggest show on TV.
Hehe ... really? LOL The actors are popular?! She should have gotten her answer during SPL in Birmingham, when they were almost being trampled over in the rush to reach her and Barun! 
Anyway, nice of her to say this.  

A habit you want to get rid of?
I was very short-tempered but I think I have changed now. But, I think I'm very loud and impatient. I would like to change that.
That's Sanaya again ... she's quick to point out her own shortcomings ... secure and confident about what she is. Her fans think she's pretty much flawless - she knows she isn't. Tongue 

What kind of shows do you want to see on TV?
TV is about being creative so everybody should make what they believe in. People shouldn't overthink.
Again - no criticising or pointing fingers - but a pragmatic acceptance of the bigger picture. There are lots of channels, lots of shows ... people can make what they like ...  people also can watch what they like ... and ignore the rest! 

What do you think of reality shows on TV?
I like dance reality shows and feel various talents should be promoted on them.

Really loved this interview - her answers were straight forward and to the point. No beating around the bush, no waffling. She says it like it is ... I especially liked her answers about Chhanchhan and moving on from it, without ignoring it just because it didn't work. She takes it on the chin, and learns some lessons from it ...
There is a saying to the effect that one learns more from one's failures than from one's successes ... and that is the mark of a truly successful person. 

6 comments:

  1. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/tv/news-interviews/Drashti-I-will-rock-the-channel-together-Sanaya-Irani/articleshow/27752311.cms

    Who says in the glamour world two actresses can't be friends? Small screen's two popular actresses Drashti Dhami and Sanaya Irani has proved it wrong. Sanaya, who will soon be seen in Nautanki Film's Ransgrasiya on Colors doesn't consider Drashti as a competition.

    "There can be no competition between me and Drashti. Why can't two people be happy and friends together. I think Drashti and I will together rock colors," said Sanaya at the launch of Rangrasiya.

    Though the actress doesn't consider Drashti as a competition, she is all geared to take on real-life beau Mohit Sehgal who is now part of Qubool Hai which airs at the same time slot of Rangrasiya, Sanaya says, "Yes and I am going to take him down, I've told him. But I also feel that there is place for all good shows at the same time slot. When I was doing Iss Pyaar Ko, Balika Vadhu also aired at the same time slot but both the shows did well. So I hope it happens this time too," concludes Sanaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D:D:D only one comment for you Dia - seems your new year is made - loads of articles on SI and her serial welcomes the new year !!

    Merry Christmas and and have a great year ahead
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona,
      I'm actually a little worried, and keeping my fingers crossed ... hope it's not too much hype and much ado about nothing!!! And also really hope and pray that the show lives up to the hype ... if it is even half as good as the reports say and the makers promise, we should have a really good, very watchable show on our hands.

      As for lots of articles, believe me, I haven't managed to post all the articles, probably only half of them, there is so much buzz about this new show. I did exactly the same for IPK and then Chhanchhan, I updated each and every article as it came out, and I could very easily keep up with all the articles for both those shows. Here, I just cannot, there are far too many! Whether it's buzz because the show itself is so big, or because it's Sanaya's show, I don't know ... a combination of both, I imagine. Also, I have no comparison point ... I did not follow the promos for either Madhubala or SC, the only other shows which I think could have been as big in terms of anticipation ... so don't know whether Rangrasiya is making more waves than either of those two did. Whatever, it feels good ... but also a little scary ... hope it lives up to the hype!

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Diya for your regular updates on Sanaya and RR. Will definitely join the discussions once the show starts.

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas and A Very Happy New Year!

    -Uma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Dia.....and everyone else here...

    Logging in after a long time...and actually feeling a little disconnected with TVpur. Not seen beyond the first two promos. Caught up with the news from your post...WOW! Siddharth Sen Gupta! The BV director...and five crores on ten epis....and all that promotion...they are going all out. Happy for San that she is part of such a prestigious project! Really impressive!

    This was a nice interview. I did not watch much of Chhanchhan, still I felt Sanaya made the right choice then. It may not have done well, but I really feel that is what she needed right then. CC will be for me one of the heroines I remember, just like Khushi...for the novelty of the role and the way San portrayed her. I am sure Paro will be another feather in her cap. I just wish people stopped comparing every character with Khushi!

    I don't remember anyone putting such pressures on DD even when MB did not click initially. Was that because Geet was never anywhere near Khushi?

    PS: Mohit has gelled quite well into QH. His revenge track is being shown, and he may not be the greatest actor, but he is pretty much above 'decent'. Really not missing Vikrant any more, even when KSG is currently scarce...his chemistry with Ketki has clicked. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Su,
      Merry Christmas!

      I'm in Delhi with mom and brother, so been busy with family stuff, but still trying to post all Sanaya and Rangrasiya related stuff as it comes up. I haven't managed to post everything yet, but the show is really creating a buzz in TV circles. Nautanki and Colors seem to be banking heavily on this show and Beinteha ... they haven't had a good fiction hit after Madhubala, which itself is faltering now. Even NBT season 2 didn't do as well as was expected. So I hope for their sake (and for Sanaya's sake of course ... mujhe Colors se kya lena!!!) that the shows both do well.

      I do agree with you about Chhanchhan ... I feel it was the right decision for Sanaya to do that at that time ... her Paro would never have had a chance from IPK fans, they were so emotionally charged after the IPK ending, that they would never have accepted her in another love story, especially not another serious intense one. By doing Chhanchhan, she did a light role, not much effort required, and she broke away from Khushi ... the online IPK fans have now decided that while they said they don't want Khushi with another guy, but they find that more than that, they don't want Sanaya in saas bahu family drama, they DO want Sanaya in a love story, because that's what they like watching.
      And the TRP audience is indifferent ... if the show and story is good, and the characters are well written, they will follow the show ... they don't watch for Sanaya or for any particular actor.

      The crew is very good ... dialogue writer, director, both from BV ... lots of money poured into the initial episodes ... lots of thought has gone into planning the story, it's been in the writing and planning stage for six months, and Sanaya was approached almost as long back ... so let's hope for the best.
      No, I don't think DD was under so much pressure, but maybe that was because GC had already started his new show before Madhubala started, if I remember right. And while GC-DD were a very popular jodi, they were on Star One, so not so well known to the mainstream audience. Geet was nowhere as well known or as popular as Khushi.

      But Khushi is Sanaya's most popular character till now, so I guess people will compare every new character to her .. TILL a newer and more popular character comes up. And I fervently hope Paro will be that character.

      Not watched QH for a while ... glad that Mohit is doing well. It's not only talent that works in BW or on TV, it's also luck and getting a decent role which clicks with the audience. As Sandhya beendni on DABH repeatedly proves time and again. And Mohit is not awful, he's just average ... which is okay, most TV actors and many BW actors are also just average.

      Delete

Back!

 Received a message about a spam comment, logged in to delete it, and browsed through the blog after AGES!!!! With work and home life gettin...