Monday, November 29, 2010

First Impressions

MJHT launched in Sept 2008. I was more attached to DMG back then, I watched the first couple of episodes of MJHT and dismissed them completely :) Mohit was raw and unconvincing as a stud, Sanaya was okay, but her character irritated me, I always had an allergy to crying heroines, and a liking for sober strong women. Mayank and Nupur - don't really remember, they didn't make any impression either way. Anyway, it was a college show, and too fluffy and inane for me. Besides, I was enjoying DMG those days, Sukirti had grown on me as Riddhima, and I was enjoying the AR chemistry, the Atul-Anjy and Rahul-Muskaan stories and of course, the ARA trio of the guys - KSG, Pankit and Mayank were all three damn good actors. Which Mohit and Arjun definitely weren't - they were nothing in comparison. So first impression of MJHT - thumbs down. Didn't watch it again for ages.

Then DMG started going down the tubes and I started tuning in to watch the last five minutes of MJHT before DMG started ... five minutes became ten as I enjoyed the nonsense of the Mayur Ahmedabad trip ... and omg, Sajan.
How had that annoying guy and that crying girl even reached here?! Although the acting was still below par, the sheer simplicity and sweetness and 'real-ness' of their story caught my attention. Especially the question-answer session of the Valentine's night. Had there ever been a love story on Indian telly which had friendship as its base? And such a strong friendship that the two actually knew each other? Likes, dislikes, fears, insecurities ... no instant attraction here, no trip fall catch (anyway that was AR speciality!), no flying hair and catching dupattas ... just talking, conversation, genuine communication and knowing the other person. So that in the Question Answer session, they swept the round. And got me interested. Not yet hooked - but very, very interested :)

And what was that about Samrat's parents? More complexity and layers here than a simple college love story, for sure. MJHT had caught my interest.

SG scenes - Q&A

2 comments:

  1. Hi again! :)

    cant believe u r actually writing up on the initial episodes of MJHT..so nice of ya :D

    i only started watching mjht when the talent parade was happening with samrat dancing n gunjan singing n all. Of course, mayur were doing their own bit, but i wasnt really interested..but SAJAN toh got me hooked..

    i agree wid ur bit abt sammy being too raw at that time (esp compared to NOW!) but still he had that innocence, that inner beauty of a stud with a heart of gold which is wot really attracted me..and gunjan, even though shy, i loved her for her commitment towards her promise to samrat..she sang n sang only cuz she want to let him down!

    before that, the way gunjan was so fraught with stage fear and all those speeches / motivational gyan he gave to gunjan to pep her up for the Talent Parade were amazing..something i had never seen before in a any show!! if ever it was shown, it was only for the heck of it..but in case of sajan, it really felt as if the scenes, the dialogues were well thought through!!

    so in his scenes alone..like the bachna ae haseeno performance, samrat was only ok..but when it came to SAJAN scenes, both Mohit and Sanaya rocked!

    n after that i went to youtube and saw every sajan scene within a span of maybe 2-3 days and loved them despite all their shortcomings in the acting n all..i think the build up to their friendship - bhavesh act (too cute!) and gunjan's anger on finding the reality, sammy's intentionless flirting, gunjan's singing, guru samrat n his experiments, diwali and talent parade, the exam track - gunjan helping out samrat wid notes, early morning classes at d cafe, cheating drama n then crash course classes at samrat's house - it was all perfect, as was their entire story :)

    anyway, these are just my thoughts..phew! long post..hope u dont mind me commenting on every post of urs ;)

    and thanks for ur posts..i really enjoy reading them :)))

    Cheers!
    Shilpi

    ps: btw, the one place where we differ is that i could never really liked DMG...it was watchable and even though i had watched all AR scenes on utube but for some reason, i never felt attached to it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shilpi,

    Enjoyed reading your comment - it's actually fun to re-visit the show and remember the moments which got me hooked, and the ones I really fell in love with ... so these are going to be pretty random as I remember what I liked ...
    I started watching around V nite ... saw the promos of Khuda Jaane (the SG ones) and got interested, so that was why I caught the question-answer session, which fascinated me! I had never seen something like that in a love story, where two people actually got to know each other - usually on tv or even movies, it's always about eyelocks, or instant attraction, or hate/fights followed by love - while for me, communication and being able to talk, be friends has always been the most important factor in a relationship.
    So I saw this and then I HAD to find out how SG had reached this stage after their very cliched start ... like you, I watched the last six months' worth of episodes over 2-3 days ... thank heavens for that kind soul who had uploaded all the Sajan scenes on you-tube! And I got totally hooked to Sajan ... their acting was definitely not that great at the start, but it improved slowly, and their storyline was what got me hooked - that and their chemistry, which was very visible almost from the start.
    Will be re-visiting all the scenes that made me fall in love with SG, and stay hooked - I want to keep all the links here as well, and I now find it great to be able to re-watch the scenes I like, as I can find them easily here, with the scene commentary!

    As for DMG ... hehe ... can understand ... I was hooked only during Sukirti's time ... I guess because I'm a doc, I did connect to the show for a while :) and it was nice to see heroines with a profession, rather than the usual sari-clad saas-bahu types on screen! Although me and my medic friends used to laugh that never did we have so much time to romance as interns, and how unrealistic a portrayal of hospitals and doctors it really was!!!

    ReplyDelete

Back!

 Received a message about a spam comment, logged in to delete it, and browsed through the blog after AGES!!!! With work and home life gettin...