Monday, January 10, 2011

Why oh why????

Ok, WHY is it that youth shows or family shows seem to have the most retarded heroines, and those are the ones that become the most popular??!!! Saw SGP after a gap of almost a week, and with the new TB write up, I was expecting a good episode ... it was good all right, in terms of acting, but the precap put me off so completely ... Suhana back to her 'wild child' ways, breaking up the room ...

WHY do the most retarded heroines always appeal to the masses??? Be it Nupur and her crass stupidity in MJHT, or the almost retarded Suhana in SGP, or the suddenly chirpy, nok jhok karne vaali Geet ... all have one thing in common ... lack of essential grey matter! Maybe that's why they appeal to the lowest common denominator in India ... those girls who aren't bothered about anything much in life other than dreaming about marriage, romance and happily ever after's! Can count on the fingers of one hand the heroines of youth shows which have actually appealed to me for their intelligence, and most of them, with the remarkable and completely UNIQUE exception of Gunjan, were not even the leads of their shows ...

Starting with of course, Dr. Simran of Astitva, but I don't count her because it wasn't a youth show, the reverse, it was an incredibly mature and sensible show ... at least as long as I was able to watch it ... and the heroine was intelligent, career oriented and yet family minded, such a difficult tightrope to balance on ...

then came DMG, where apart from Riddhima, I also liked both Anjali, for her extreme dedication to career and 'no' to romance ... no wonder she wasn't the main lead, but I always liked her a lot
and Muskaan, who actually dodged her parents attempts to get her married off early, because she wanted to be a doctor - both these girls wern't the main leads, but both had some sensibility ... up to a point!
I also see Akshara's bhabhi, Varsha in Yeh Rishta - she wants to study after marriage, and from what little I saw, she actually did so, with supportive inlaws ... BUT she wasn't a main lead ... the main lead is busy managing the never-ending rituals and parties in her house.

But it's not only the dedication to being full time wife and daughter-in-law that gets me, it's the fact that this is percolating into the youth shows and family shows as well, turning them all into saas bahu type of shows, and glorifying stupidity and childishness in heroines, rather than intelligence and grace, that gets my goat. And also prevents me from actually seeing the love in the love stories involved - I never saw any spark in Mayur, neither can I see it in Suhana and Ishaan at all. And whatever little I've seen of Geet, the interminable 'maahiii' always gets me laughing way before I can feel any romance at all!

Sigh ... I really am in a minority in my choice of heroines ... no wonder the Dr. Simrans and the Gunjans are so rare and precious on Indian telly! Can't we have a channel dedicated solely to the thinking audience in India - or is that too much to ask for?!

Oh well, needed to rant ... Suhana put me off so much today!

5 comments:

  1. hey Dia
    so true to think Indian telly can come to terms with maturity grace elegance and rise above the incontestable crusading bahu at least in this decade is something i dont think of as possible, reason ... the people who make these shows feel the audience cant think and hence to make the gal reletable to them so mustn't she !!
    Suhana has not just broken a thing or 2.. no she has demolished her entire room .. good lord and her dad is smiling away *head desk*

    the majority of the audience for these shows and the likes of those who appreciate these LEGENDS are retards in some way or another .. or probably need help PRONTO !!

    Like you said a thinking educated woman who has a life beyond covering her head in pallus, doing pooja 24 /7/ 365 , feeding her inlaws & hubby, struggling against all the odds and getting the laundry cleaned is the ROLE-MODEL women aspire and look upto .. wait i was referring to the 1940's when dadisaa of balika vadhu married who is the guiding light 7 inspiration of all these modern housewives who struggle daily and think ... if dadisaa could do it so can I... get old have kids, dominate the hell out of my DIL' as my MIL did with me and then die an old hag .. an event which was prayed for frivolously ROFL

    yes dadi saa is nupur suhana and akshara' idol .. while Gunjan, akshara' bhabhi and the likes of them have a Dr Simran to look upto .. a diamond which is a rare find on Indian telly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why these shows are never on the top spot ... talking about Astitva ... because it was realistic and not over-dramatic, and similarly why Gunjan will never be the top favourite, because she's quiet and dignified, not OTT nautanki. The favourite shows today are those who have those clashing cymbals, people being zeroed in 3-4 times, and of course the 'cute' senseless nokjhoks and retarded heroines, who are pampered silly and their idiotic ways pandered to as though they are goddesses ... I was watching last night's SGP with my hubby, and he was like, 'who is this demented girl?!' If I had dared to behave like that with my parents, let alone my inlaws, I would have been locked up till I learnt how to behave! And grounded for life for throwing such tantrums! But Suhana's dad ... all he says is, she doesn't hurt live people or animals, only breaks inanimate things! And that's supposed to be funny?! No wonder his daughter is so retarded!
    Vaise, I love the actor who plays Suhana's dad - I just wish he had given his daughter a few tight slaps when she was little! :D And why are the sasuraal vaalas also so scared of her temper? Didn't get that one at all! She's not like a bahu - she's like a child they have to bring up ... because their otherwise sensible yet bhondu son has committed the stupidity of falling for her ... how and why, I still don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diaaaaaaaaa!...am too traumatised after reading your post...et tu brutus?!...itna bara zor ka jatka?!...dost...dost na raha...lol ;-)

    thanks for the blog link btw! ;-) Looks cool, shall explore more when I have more time!

    P x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lolzzzz, P ... the one day I choose to comment on your favourite, you show up here :D ... vaise, to clarify, that comment was based on when I last watched, which was quite a while ago ... today was a red letter day ... there was NO mahiiiiiii !!!
    And hey, this blog dates back to our old days, when I was experimenting ... started this and the other one, and forgot about this ... till I re-started it with MJHT comments ... kept it private for a long, long time ... again following someone's example :)
    Good to see you here ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oye hoye...am not letting you off the hook so easily!! mere devta saman Maan sir (;p) aur unki priye pujye andhargani Geet (;p..have no idea what i just wrote but it sounds good to me ;p)ki band mat bajao!!...abhi...main hoon na...unki izzat ki raksha karne ke liye!! Shall defend them...but later...on mail...aaram se...pehle main Maan sir ke darshan karlu! ;-)

    Px

    ReplyDelete

Back!

 Received a message about a spam comment, logged in to delete it, and browsed through the blog after AGES!!!! With work and home life gettin...