Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Changing Shades IV

But slowly, over the two years, it became evident that Manish had eyes only for his childhood friend. He spent more time with her than ever before. He still did not attend classes. That privilege belonged to Aditya and Mansi, and to them alone. But he visited her home frequently - to pick up notes, he said, and when they went out, he stayed glued to her side.

Mansi wasn't sure of her feelings. To begin with, it meant that she spent less time with Aditya, and she enjoyed his company tremendously. Then she felt she was being pushed towards something she was not ready for. She wanted to discuss it with Aditya, but surprisingly, this was one topic she felt shy about bringing up. So she just let things carry on, a little uncomfortable with Manish's attentions, but lacking the courage to bring things to a head.

Then things came to a head without her knowledge. Shortly before their final exams, Manish's parents visited Mansi's uncle

And when she came back from college that day, she found him bustling about in great good humor.
“What's happened, chacha?” she asked, as she went into the kitchen to get their tea. “Today you seem to be very happy.”

“Yes, today I can see the end of my responsibility,” answered her uncle.

She looked at him in surprise. “What do you mean, chacha?”

“Manish's parents came today,” he informed her happily. “They wanted to settle the dates of your engagement and marriage. We have decided for two weeks from now for the engagement, that will be just after your exams, and your marriage will have to be the week after that. Now I have a lot of work to do. Two weeks is not too long…”

“Chacha, wait a minute,” interrupted Mansi, suddenly very pale. “This is my marriage you are talking about? How come I wasn't even asked if I want to marry him?”

Her uncle looked at her in surprise. “Asked? We thought both of you wanted it! That's what Manish said! He's been in love with you for years, and you are so close to him, too. Always at home, it's Manish said this, Manish did that…”

“Yes, but I talk about all my friends,” interrupted Mansi, again. “That doesn't mean I want to marry them. Chacha, I don't want to get married right now. We are already so much in debt to them, what will people say? They have given us everything, now I walk into their house and become mistress there? Hum chhote log hain, I can't do this.”

“Hum chhote log hain, that is why you will do this,” retorted back her uncle. “They have given us everything, and do you know why? Because they have wanted this match from the beginning. They had discussed this with your parents before they died. That is why they asked me to stay here with you, so that your father's dreams of your becoming an architect could be fulfilled, and their dreams of making you their son's bride could also come true.”

“That's not true,” said Mansi, shaken. “Papa and Ma would have talked to me about it before saying anything to uncle and auntie. They may want it, but pa and ma would have said something to me.”

“That is what they wanted, child,” replied her uncle more kindly. “Maybe they did not talk about this with you. After all, you were very young then. But Mrs. Dewan has always thought of you as her daughter, and she wants you in that house. She has never made any secret of the fact. And after all, what is wrong? You have studied with him. You know him well. It is not as if I am forcing you to marry someone you don't know or don't like.”

He took her hands and pulled her to sit down with him.

“Look, my child,” he said heavily. “What you said is true. We are small people, and we have a debt of gratitude to pay these people which we can never repay in a thousand years. What they did for your parents, and then for you, you already know. What you don't know, is that that they have always given me more money than I actually should earn, on the condition that it is spent all on you. Your clothes, the college trips you took, everything was from them. We have never felt a day's difficulty, they have taken care of it all. Why do you think they were so keen for you to attend the same college, have the same friends, be part of the same group, as Manish? This was in Madam's and Sir’s minds all along. Even this house we live in, is theirs, which they have given us free. I didn't want to tell you this, but they always discouraged me from setting up my own house, from marrying anybody, so that they could keep control of you. They are big people, powerful people, and they have done all this only because Madam loves you. Now we cannot say no to them. And after all, child, like I said, you know Manish, and like him. He is a friend. A friend can always become a love. That is why I said yes straightaway. They will love you and you will have a good life there.”

Mansi could not say anything. Aditya’s words, spoken not so long ago, came back to her. “The tyranny of love,” he had said. She smiled bitterly. So true. You could argue with somebody who tried to push you around, who rode roughshod over your feelings, who shouted at you. This gentleness, this kindness was impossible to fight.

The next day was Saturday. After a restless night, she woke up feeling heavy eyed and unrefreshed. She picked at her breakfast listlessly, unable to concentrate or think about anything. After breakfast, she picked up her bag, and went out.

“Where are you going?” called out her uncle.

“I'm going to the hostel to pick up some notes,” she called back. She needed to see Aditya. Maybe his commonsense would put things back into perspective for her.

She walked down quickly to the men's hostel, and went to Aditya's room. They all gathered here very often. She was surprised, but relieved to find none of their group around. Usually, this close to the exams, one or the other of them would be closeted with Aditya, trying to absorb half a year's lectures in half an hour!

She knocked at the door sharply. There was no answer. She knocked again.

“He's not there,” called a voice from down the corridor. It was one of the junior students. “I'm glad you came. He left a message for you. He had to rush to Bombay, his grandfather was not well. Said for you to take notes for him, he'd be back in a week. Left a message for Manish, too, can I give it to you?”

“No,” she exclaimed, and then, again, more quietly. “I don't know when I'll see Manish. He'll probably come here sooner. Tell him yourself.”

“OK,” nodded the boy, and returned to his room.

Mansi left the hostel in despair. A week! The engagement , if it took place, was two weeks away. What if he got delayed? He often did, when he went to Bombay. This meant he would be back just in time for the exams, and her engagement would be very close ... too close.

She bumped into Priya and Sunny outside. “Hi,” said Priya “Come to find Aditya? He's gone to Bombay.”

“Yes, I just got the message,” nodded Mansi, trying hard to sound calm and casual. “Blow, I needed the last set of drawings from him. I'll have to manage on my own now. Have you guys done them?”

Sunny laughed. “We're waiting for one of you to finish them. Hurry up and do them, Mansi, the exam's not too far away. And Aditya's gone for a long spell this time. Neil said his grand dad is determined to make him a final choice of the beauties this time. He won't be allowed to come back till he's hitched up good and proper!”

Mansi and Priya looked at Sunny. “Aditya? Getting engaged?” asked Priya in surprise. “He never mentioned it to any of us. Did he say anything to you, Mansi?”

Mansi shook her head dumbly. Sunny laughed. “These are guys' matters, you girls can't expect to know everything, you know. I'll bet you won't tell us when you're getting hitched, except to invite us to the party! Aditya said the last time he went to Bombay, the old man was determined to make him settle down. He must have seen twenty girls last trip. Now he has to decide.”

Mansi supposed she must have made the right noises, laughed at the right things. She didn't remember any of it. She said her byes, and came back home in a state of shock. How could Aditya not have told her? He called himself her friend. How could he do this? How could he think of getting married, and not tell her?

“Got your notes, Mansi?” asked her uncle, and she looked at him. He had looked after her like a father, and he was very, very fond of her. He was trying to do the best thing for her. And he was right. She did know Manish well. She could make a life with him. His parents loved her. Life would be comfortable, she would have her precious work in the family firm, and it would all be smooth sailing.

“Yes, chacha, I did,” she said. “And, chacha…”

He looked at her as she hesitated.

“What, my child?”

“Chacha, you're quite right. About what you said yesterday, I mean. I just got a bit rattled – I'd never really thought about Manish like that. But you are right – I know him and his parents very well. If they are keen on the proposal, it's all right with me.”

Her uncle looked at her and beamed, his relief evident. He crossed over to her and took her into his arms. “I'm delighted, my child. You have made me very happy. When I die and go up to meet your parents, I will be able to look them in the face and tell them that I discharged all my responsibilities in the best possible way. You will be happy there, my dear child. They all love you very much and will take good care of you. Mr Dewan was saying that he is already organizing two new offices, for you and Manish. Your father's dream will come true, my child. Though he would not have dreamed that you start work there as the mistress! Your parents would have been so happy to see this day!”

Tears came into the older man's eyes, and he wiped them away and released her.

“I will go at once to Sir's house and tell them that you have said yes,” he said. “They must have been expecting me yesterday itself, but I did not want to go till I had heard from your lips that you agreed to the proposal. I will go right away.”

He quickly straightened his clothes, tidied himself and left, leaving Mansi alone in the house. She went to the window and stared out unseeing. What have I done, she thought? Have I done the right thing? Damn you, Aditya, you said you were my friend, you would be here for me all the time. When the time came to make the most important decision of my life, you are nowhere around, and I learn from someone else, not from you, that you are in the process of making that decision for yourself. Without telling me? How could you, Aditya? How could you?

There was a knock on the door, and she turned round in surprise. Who could it be? Aditya? Her footsteps quickened and she ran to open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back!

 Received a message about a spam comment, logged in to delete it, and browsed through the blog after AGES!!!! With work and home life gettin...